ENG New site

Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Page 27 of 69«1225262728296869»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
General suggestions
SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 10.10.2014, 11:27 | Message # 391
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
FastFourierTransform, about your suggestions. Submoons, "circumbinary" moons, moons of asteriods, and procedural moons around catalog planets cannot be added in current architecture of the planet generator. It is simply too complex in the code. When I implement new simulation-based generator, it will be easy.

Asteroid rings could be added easily.

Number of planets in the system is limited by the initial size of the protoplanetary disk. SE didn't simulate young systems with intersecting orbits, and didn't simulate the Kuiper belt. Also, the Solar system browser would be hard to use, if the system will have 100+ planets.

Planets with extreme orbits cannot be implemented easy, because generator can't "clean out" their neighbourhood off other planets that intersect their orbits. This lead to colliding planets, which of course cannot be shown accurately in a procedural engine.

Real KBO catalog is already included in SE, as I said, and in the next version it would be enabled by default (because of upgraded catalog loader).

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 10.10.2014, 11:53 | Message # 392
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Quote FastFourierTransform ()
If the Solar System have had one more Gas Giants as Saturn this would porobably occur they conclude. So systems with many gas giants tend to highly eccentric orbits and instabilities:

Is that documentary on English available?

n0b0dyDate: Friday, 10.10.2014, 20:28 | Message # 393
Explorer
Group: Users
Pirate
Hi, sorry if that is asked already:

- Would it be possible to add new galaxies and nebulae models in the galaxy and nebula model.cfgs to be used as procedural galaxies and nebulae and not affect numbering of procedural systems?

eg I have all Voekoevaka's galaxies added to galaxy model.cfg (together with their appropriate entries in galaxies10k.cfg) and have ''UseForType'' command in model.cfg enabled because if it is disabled that particular model will not be used for procedural galaxies afaik, but then all numbering of procedural stars in catalog galaxies change and I can not share a location I find because my SE universe is different from the ''clean'' SE universe with no addons.

In short: It would be great if we could add add-ons like new galaxies and nebulae to be used both as catalogs and procedural objects in SE but without affecting the numbering of procedural systems in catalog galaxies and ideally in procedural ones as well.

- 3D planetary rings should be possible because many othe spacesims have them e.g. Elite: Dangerous. I think they are using a technique where the same pattern of rocks is used again and again with some randomization so it doesn't look too repetitve. Also the rocks don't move in orbits - they only roatate around their axis in a similarly random pattern to give illusion they are moving. So if a similar techique is used for SE I think it would not require a supercomputer and should be doable. The trick should be to make SE think that all these rocks are one object (or at least a small group of objects) and not millions of objects. If this works then the possibility of having stars rotating around galaxy will not seem so impossible <--- probably wrong analogy smile

sorry if this is suggested before and for long post

Edited by n0b0dy - Friday, 10.10.2014, 20:32

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 10.10.2014, 22:12 | Message # 394
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Nebulae models does not affect the numbering. But galaxies models of course do, because changing the texture of the galaxy will change the shape of spiral arms, and because the star generator takes them into account, it will generate completely different galaxy. There is no way to bypass this problem, except ignoring the actual galaxy texture, but this is not a solution.

n0b0dyDate: Saturday, 11.10.2014, 08:59 | Message # 395
Explorer
Pirate
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
because changing the texture of the galaxy will change the shape of spiral arms, and because the star generator takes them into account, it will generate completely different galaxy.

Space Engineer thank you very much for your reply!
Ok, understood but this should only affect the stars of the galaxy that the new texture refers to. Why does it affect the seed of all stars of all galaxies i.e. af all universe? For example if I add voevoevaka's galaxies, the numbering of Milkyway stars is also changed.
Sorry to ask too many questions...

FastFourierTransformDate: Saturday, 11.10.2014, 12:04 | Message # 396
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Didn't read all, I'm too tired now

Thanks for taking your time to answer me smile

Okey, by parts:

So Submoons, Circumbinary moons, asteroid moons, double asteroids, double moons and moons around the components of binary planets are imposible by now, but from what you said I infer that all of this amazing features will be implemented at the same time when the system architecture is changed no? Please, that would be amazing

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Asteroid rings could be added easily.

oohhh that's great!!! smile

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Also, the Solar system browser would be hard to use, if the system will have 100+ planets

But is necessary to change that right? I mean, maybe beyond the version 1.0 we could se that? Because that would be awesome! and relistic also.

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Planets with extreme orbits cannot be implemented easy, because generator can't "clean out" their neighbourhood off other planets that intersect their orbits.

Oohh I understand. The issue of the planetary orbits with high inclination respect to the plain of ecliptic woudn't necessary intersect any planet but I comprehend the problem. Well, I only can say that if that problem is overcome one day it would be a giant leap also and would add much more variety to the experience. I see comets in SE that are in high eccentric inclined orbits but a planet with that kind of orbit is to much strange to be added maybe. Wow I would love to see this kind of changes!!

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Real KBO catalog is already included in SE

Thanks a lot for the instructions

My part of the work

smile
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Is that documentary on English available?

I've searched for the docuementary in other languages but I couldn't find it. What I could found is the papers and the researchers upon the issue of excentric giants is extracted the information in the documentary.
And I'm going to explain that in the next post, because is quite interesting and maybe with that you could get inspired on how to do the coding smile

Edited by FastFourierTransform - Saturday, 11.10.2014, 12:04

SpaceEngineerDate: Saturday, 11.10.2014, 12:11 | Message # 397
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
The naming is based on galaxy number in the array. It change if you add or remove a galaxy from the catalog. It didn't change if you change the galaxy model or texture. But the seed used in the procedural generation is based on coordinates, not the name or number in the array. It changes only if you change the galaxy coordinates.

pile146Date: Wednesday, 22.10.2014, 20:42 | Message # 398
Observer
Group: Newbies
Croatia
Hello everyone!

I hope I am in a right tread for my following question/suggestion?

In one of the following updates (0.97.2...), is there maybe going to be a way to control your spacecraft in a same manner one controls the camera in "spacecraft mode"? So any ship imported or the default one could be controlled in the same way you control your camera in "spacecraft mode". Giving us a possibility to adjust the acceleration of the ship with the mouse wheel and with the benefits of rest of the Newtonian laws that "spacecraft mode" offers biggrin .

Maybe there is a tread or a suggestion like this somewhere on this forum, but I could not find it. If not here is one. Maybe someone can even make a mod for current version (0.92.1) that just attaches the ship model onto the camera? In my opinion I think this would be seriously fun user experience.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 22.10.2014, 21:55 | Message # 399
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote pile146 ()
In one of the following updates (0.97.2...), is there maybe going to be a way to control your spacecraft in a same manner one controls the camera in "spacecraft mode"?

You can already do this. Open the console (~) and type "UFO". This will allow you to control the spacecraft using WASDRF, and using mousewheel to set any desired acceleration. You can also type "aero" and "gravity" to disable aerodynamic and gravitational effects to make it behave exactly the same as the camera mode.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

pile146Date: Thursday, 23.10.2014, 12:02 | Message # 400
Observer
Group: Newbies
Croatia
"Cheater" hahaha.

Thank you Harbinger!

This is exactly what I had in mind. Another level of fun in this amazing program. biggrin

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 23.10.2014, 22:37 | Message # 401
Author of Space Engine
Russian Federation
Eccentric Jupiters

First of all, they are not so common. Usually hight eccentric orbits reduces to almost circular when additional planets discovered around the star. So this effect is a lack of knowledge of full architecture of the system. Also, you have written: 7% of all stars, where planets have been found.

Inclined Exoplanets

As you have noted, this is relatively common only for hot jupiters, and explained by planet-planet scattering, the mechanism responsible for the hot jupiters formation.

Anyway, hi-eccentric and inclination planets should be of course, and the will be implemented in the new system generation code. Not in 0.972 though.

Trojan Planets

Actually, trojan points are semi-stable for planet-size bodies. They are stable only if the body have negligible mass compared to the star and main planet (ie asteroid), but this is not true for full-sized planets. The Tethys and Dione have asteriod-sized trojans too. Trojan planets can exist in young systems though - even Earth had a trojan planet Theia what had collided with Earth (due to instability of such configuration) and formed the Moon.

Anyway, you made a good research, thanks for links. On the Russian forum, I have a special thread where I collect links to articles related to planetary system architecture, formation and evolution. i am periodically refer to it when I made changes in the solar system generator code. If you have a account on the Russian forum, I would ask you to copy your post there, to have all in one place. Otherwise I can copy it myself.

HarbingerDawnDate: Thursday, 23.10.2014, 23:00 | Message # 402
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Actually, trojan points are semi-stable for planet-size bodies. They are stable only if the body have negligible mass compared to the star and main planet (ie asteroid), but this is not true for full-sized planets.

It can be stable for full-sized planets, it simply depends on the relative masses. A small planet like Mars could not have a stable trojan planet, but gas giants could support relatively large trojan planets and still be stable (at least, this is what Watsisname determined here).

My SE mods and addons

apenpaapDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 11:40 | Message # 403
World Builder
Antarctica
Would the community compiling a list of catalog stars with wrong spectral classes (the giant orange and red dwarf stars) be any use to SpaceEngineer?

I occasionally stream at http://www.twitch.tv/magistermystax. Sometimes SE, sometimes other games.

HarbingerDawnDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 14:12 | Message # 404
Cosmic Curator
United States
Quote apenpaap ()
Would the community compiling a list of catalog stars with wrong spectral classes (the giant orange and red dwarf stars) be any use to SpaceEngineer?

http://en.spaceengine.org/forum/17-2278-1

This topic and thread are also listed in the FAQ.

My SE mods and addons

FastFourierTransformDate: Wednesday, 29.10.2014, 19:34 | Message # 405
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
First of all, they are not so common. Usually hight eccentric orbits reduces to almost circular when additional planets discovered around the star. So this effect is a lack of knowledge of full architecture of the system. Also, you have written: 7% of all stars, where planets have been found.

Aahh, okey, I understand, good point. But beside that I think there are quite a lot real eccentric planets. And there are many many mechanisms to explain eccentricity excitations in the formation of planetary bodies (as well as eccentricity damping as you have mentioned). Here you have some very recent theory about how the eccentricity can in fact appear with varius mechanisms.

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Anyway, hi-eccentric and inclination planets should be of course, and the will be implemented in the new system generation code. Not in 0.972 though.

I would love to see that. Can't wait.

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
you made a good research, thanks for links. On the Russian forum, I have a special thread where I collect links to articles related to planetary system architecture, formation and evolution. i am periodically refer to it when I made changes in the solar system generator code. If you have a account on the Russian forum, I would ask you to copy your post there, to have all in one place. Otherwise I can copy it myself.

Thank you. I don't have an account on the russian forum and I know very little of your language but if you want to copy paste this I would be very very ammused. smile

Thanks for the work.
I think that when you change the system generator we are going to have a great Space Engine revolution (interplanetary Objects, Intergalactic Objetcs, Trojan Objects, Eccentric orbits, Highly inclined orbits, circumbinary orbits on planets and moons and rings, etc...)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Feedback and Suggestions » General suggestions (Post your suggestions here.)
Page 27 of 69«1225262728296869»
Search: