Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
DarkenTerraDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 10:16 | Message # 1336
Astronaut
Group: Users
China
I really can't understand the exact meaning of those "huge craters" that appears on the planets (On Deserts,they might act like basins; on Terras and Titans, they are some kind of lake?) . Their existence makes these planets seem strange cry

Attachments: 2835156.jpg(189.5 Kb) · 3461223.jpg(142.4 Kb) · 8059457.jpg(349.5 Kb) · 4113800.jpg(245.6 Kb)

Who am I ?

FireintheholeDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 11:37 | Message # 1337
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
It could be really old craters from when the system was born.

Love SpaceEngine!

DarkenTerraDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 12:22 | Message # 1338
Astronaut
China
version
Quote Fireinthehole ()
It could be really old craters from when the system was born.

Uh,if you're right, they should be fixed as if thay are bugs......or, they shouldn't belongs to the present

Who am I ?

DeathStarDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 14:58 | Message # 1339
Pioneer
Croatia
While I do agree that their frequency should be lower than it currently is on some planets(primarily titans), I don't think they should be removed outright. Some of them may be younger, and even if all of them are ancient, we don't know whether a planet has active plate tectonics or not - I doubt atmospheric weathering alone would be enough to get rid of a crater of that size in a long,long time.

ShadowRaikouDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 15:11 | Message # 1340
Astronaut
India
Quote DeathStar ()
While I do agree that their frequency should be lower than it currently is on some planets(primarily titans), I don't think they should be removed outright. Some of them may be younger, and even if all of them are ancient, we don't know whether a planet has active plate tectonics or not - I doubt atmospheric weathering alone would be enough to get rid of a crater of that size in a long,long time.

This is right. While I think it's unlikely to have multiple gigantic craters on the same planet, the odds of the universe alone make it still possible. And while not that big, Hellas Planitia on Mars is a prime example in real life. If to be terraformed, it'd look like one of those giant lake craters. It's the largest visible impact crater in the solar system and much like what DarkenTerra, is referring to.

Edited by ShadowRaikou - Saturday, 30.01.2016, 15:13

MixaDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 18:26 | Message # 1341
Space Tourist
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Quote huishb ()
How do i check my pc specs?

You can always run directX diagnostic tool. just type "dxdiag" in search bar or in "run" (if you're running XP). Under display tab (header of the window) you'll find information about your device (GPU).

Edited by Mixa - Saturday, 30.01.2016, 18:27

CaptainMaxwellDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 18:45 | Message # 1342
Observer
Group: Newbies
Austria
Giant impact basins are quite common, actually. Think Caloris Planitia, the Aitken Basin or Vastitas Borealis. Heck, even here on Earth there are such structures. One in North America, one in South Africa and one somewhere in Russia.
On some of the smaller moons you can see craters half the size of the object (Mimas!).

n0b0dyDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 19:47 | Message # 1343
Explorer
Pirate
I have reinstalled windws (7x64sp1) because I bought new HDD (ssd). I reinstalled SE 0974 patch 8 (install 0972 then 0973 patch on top, then 0974 patch 8) and now I can not set SE to work with extended native resolution I was using before format: 5760x1080 surround.
GPU Drivers are clean installed and other games can play at 5760x1080. Desktop resolution is also 5760x1080. SE defaults to a max of 4000smthing x 700smthng. Can anybody shed a light in this? I include se.log

Attachments: 0266529.log(56.0 Kb) · 1604699.jpg(460.1 Kb)

DeathStarDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 20:22 | Message # 1344
Pioneer
Croatia
Quote CaptainMaxwell ()
Giant impact basins are quite common, actually. Think Caloris Planitia, the Aitken Basin or Vastitas Borealis. Heck, even here on Earth there are such structures. One in North America, one in South Africa and one somewhere in Russia.
On some of the smaller moons you can see craters half the size of the object (Mimas!).

DarkenTerra is talking about giant impact basins on terras and titans, which have an atmosphere, hydrosphere and possibly plate tectonics that may mess the impact basins up by varying degrees. As I said in a previous comment, I think(though I could easily be wrong) that weather and a hydrosphere aren't enough on their own to mess up such huge structures, but active plate tectonics definitely are.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 20:35 | Message # 1345
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
I'm posting some updates for 0.974 instead of SpaceEngineer today.

Giant Stars

Giant star rendering has been updated. The size of the convection cells now depends on the star's surface gravity, and to a lesser extent its temperature. This gives a smooth continuum of appearance from dense small giants like Alnitak and Saiph, which look like main sequence stars, to diffuse large giants like Betelgeuse and NML Cygni, which look like red giants from previous versions.

Here is a compilation of various giant stars, including some famous catalog stars like Betelgeuse and Deneb as well as procedural stars, to show how the new giants look:

Note: since these screenshots were taken, the code was updated to have smaller convection cells have an inverted color scheme, like on main sequence stars.

Interface

The HUD and other interface elements can now be colored in the interface skin config files.

You can now select units of pressure, in addition to distance and temperature.

Solar System

New Pluto and Charon textures, courtesy of Snowfall

New Ceres textures, courtesy of Steve Albers and John van Vliet

New Saturn rings backlit texture, courtesy of HarbingerDawn

Other Changes

Added detail-less cold/frozen gas/ice giants like Uranus

Full changelog since the last patch:

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

sinsforealDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 20:38 | Message # 1346
Space Pilot
United States
HarbingerDawn,

What about the red giant shader mod?

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

quarior14Date: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 20:42 | Message # 1347
World Builder
Pirate
Quote HarbingerDawn ()
I'm posting some updates for 0.974 instead of SpaceEngineer today.

You have not forgotten to put the link or is it normal (and textures of Titan) ?
Otherwise good work.

Quarior

Edited by quarior14 - Saturday, 30.01.2016, 20:44

FireintheholeDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 20:43 | Message # 1348
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Sweden
HarbingerDawn, looks awesome! Do you know if the next release is a patch, or a full release?

Love SpaceEngine!

CanleskisDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 20:45 | Message # 1349
Space Pilot
France
Quote quarior14 ()
You have not forgotten to put the link or is it normal ?
Otherwise good work.

I think patch 9 isn't ready yet.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 30.01.2016, 20:46 | Message # 1350
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Quote sinsforeal ()
What about the red giant shader mod?

What about it?

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM