SalvoDate: Saturday, 24.10.2015, 18:51 | Message # 676
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
This is not bug, but limitation.

Yeah, stupid computer graphics.

I hate transparent things. cry

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

CharlieDate: Saturday, 24.10.2015, 21:31 | Message # 677
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Thanks All for your help and advice, much appreciated!! Was pullin' my hair out trying to figure out what was up, thought it was my system. I will set the LOD accordingly. Thanks Again smile

Dell XPS-8700 (modified)
Intel Core i7-4790 3.6 GHz
32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-1600 Memory
PNY GeForce GTX-980 Ti 6GB DDR5

VilfateDate: Saturday, 24.10.2015, 22:07 | Message # 678
Astronaut
Group: Users
China
SpaceEngineer, I see... My bad. Thank you so much for your time explaining. happy

ZatSoloDate: Saturday, 24.10.2015, 22:40 | Message # 679
Space Pilot
Italy
Quote ZatSolo
Apparently in the patch 03 has changed the algorithm for terrain generation. My saved places with mountains now have become almost flat ...

Well, after exploring many deserts and terras, I can safely say that mountains, in deserts, are more frequent and higher than those on terras. Terras, in other words, are flatter than the deserts.

In version 0.9.7.3 up to version 0.9.7.4 p02 this was not the case. It's a deliberate feature or a mistake?

11ryancDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 08:24 | Message # 680
Observer
United States
Probably mentioned elsewhere, but will Mars and Venus ever have procedural detailed surfaces?

Intel Core i7 4790k, MSI Z97 PC Mate, EVGA GTX 950, 16GB 1600 MHz, SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB, 2 TB WD Green, 2 TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Elite 350 Mid Tower
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

isdebeslDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 09:06 | Message # 681
Space Pilot
Indonesia
I'm just curious, any star catalogue will be added in the future??

parameciumkidDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 10:11 | Message # 682
Explorer
United States
Yes, and yes.
Last I heard SpaceEngineer does not have plans to add procedural surface details to mapped planets in the immediate future, but it is an eventual goal for the game. In the meantime, surface detail can be improved using the HD texture pack available in the website's Downloads section.
SE's star catalogs get updated every few versions, so it's reasonable to predict that future editions of SE will include new or updated star catalogs.

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

The_BlazerDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 10:45 | Message # 683
Space Tourist
Italy
Quote ZatSolo ()
mountains, in deserts, are more frequent and higher than those on terras

Well, it would make sense from a geological perspective - Terras are earth-like planets containing liquid water, so rain and liquid flow would slowly erode and flatten the mountains, while Deserts have no water, therefore mountains can grow to virtually any size there.

Born too early to explore space... But just in time for Space Engine.

PC Specs:
GTX 770 (2GB VRAM) - i5 4570 - 8GB RAM

AlekDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 18:44 | Message # 684
Pioneer
United States
Quote The_Blazer ()
Well, it would make sense from a geological perspective - Terras are earth-like planets containing liquid water, so rain and liquid flow would slowly erode and flatten the mountains, while Deserts have no water, therefore mountains can grow to virtually any size there.

But also, water allows plate tectonics, as we see Venus and Mars have little to no liquid water and so no plate tectonics. Is there some way you can build a whole mountain range (or many, for that matter) without plate tectonics, without the cause being volcanic?

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

ZatSoloDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 19:32 | Message # 685
Space Pilot
Italy
Quote The_Blazer ()
Well, it would make sense from a geological perspective ... rain and liquid flow would slowly erode and flatten the mountains, while Deserts have no water .... .

Yes, this is, indeed, a plausible explanation.

However, "flatter" terras appear only since version "0.9.7.4 patch03"; in the other 0,9.7.x do not, so it would be interesting to have some clarification from SpaceEngineer, if possible wink

parameciumkidDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 22:41 | Message # 686
Explorer
United States
Quote Alek ()
But also, water allows plate tectonics, as we see Venus and Mars have little to no liquid water and so no plate tectonics.

Unless there's been a major paradigm shift in the geology field that I haven't heard about, water has nothing to do with plate tectonics.

The plates in the crust make up the lithosphere, which as the name implies is a sphere of hard rock. They float on top of the asthenosphere, which is a layer made of liquid magma. In the case of continents, the rock is less dense and remains on top, but in the case of the sea floor, the rock is more dense (it's made of the same minerals, but denser because it is cooler). Thus the edges of the oceanic plates are generally either new rock being formed from magma bubbling up or old rock sinking into the mantle, slowly dragging the rest of the plate along with it.

It does require liquid, but it's subsurface magma that it requires, not water.

DeathStarDate: Sunday, 25.10.2015, 23:21 | Message # 687
Pioneer
Croatia
parameciumkid, I actually also thought that Alek's claim wasn't correct at first, but I looked it up and from what I have gathered it is actually partially correct. Oceans are required for Earth-style plate tectonics, since the oceans seem to be the cause of the lithosphere fracturing(or something to that effect).

AlekDate: Monday, 26.10.2015, 03:41 | Message # 688
Pioneer
United States
Quote parameciumkid ()
Unless there's been a major paradigm shift in the geology field that I haven't heard about, water has nothing to do with plate tectonics.

The plates in the crust make up the lithosphere, which as the name implies is a sphere of hard rock. They float on top of the asthenosphere, which is a layer made of liquid magma. In the case of continents, the rock is less dense and remains on top, but in the case of the sea floor, the rock is more dense (it's made of the same minerals, but denser because it is cooler). Thus the edges of the oceanic plates are generally either new rock being formed from magma bubbling up or old rock sinking into the mantle, slowly dragging the rest of the plate along with it.

It does require liquid, but it's subsurface magma that it requires, not water.

Quote DeathStar ()
parameciumkid, I actually also thought that Alek's claim wasn't correct at first, but I looked it up and from what I have gathered it is actually partially correct. Oceans are required for Earth-style plate tectonics, since the oceans seem to be the cause of the lithosphere fracturing(or something to that effect).

The oceans allow for easier movement. Water has the effect of grease in an engine, where plate tectonics may work without it but it has to be specially made and would be quite rare, because water allows the plates to not grind against each other as much, causing movement to occur faster and easier.

Living among the stars, I find my way. I grow in strength through knowledge of the space I occupy, until I become the ruler of my own interstellar empire of sorts. Though The world was made for the day, I was made for the night, and thus, the universe itself is within my destiny.

parameciumkidDate: Monday, 26.10.2015, 06:06 | Message # 689
Explorer
United States
Yay, I learned something today!
xP

Bells_TheoremDate: Monday, 26.10.2015, 23:49 | Message # 690
Explorer
United States
Quote Alek ()
The oceans allow for easier movement. Water has the effect of grease in an engine, where plate tectonics may work without it but it has to be specially made and would be quite rare, because water allows the plates to not grind against each other as much, causing movement to occur faster and easier.

Which might also explain Venus' lack of plate tectonics despite being very volcaniclly active. Nothing to grease the gears.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 46 of 221«124445464748220221»
Search: