[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 08:08 | Message # 3061
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote JCandeias ()
This includes files in the screenshots folder, right? My latest installation meant losing every single image I had done since rc2 came out.

Yes. The problem is version number - it is 0.974 for all RCs. So installer attempts to install in the same directory. But now I configured it more accurately, so it will uninstall only files which was previously installed. So screenshots, addons and user configs (new thing) will be preserved.

Quote Mosfet ()
LOL you said bugfixes only, then:

This is needed for Steam.

Quote ShadowRaikou ()
Did something change in the debug mode in RC3? I remember that if I wanted the RA/Dec/Distance for any given empty space (to place custom stars), I'd select the sun and look at it's coords in debug mode. But it's not showing any coords at all, and certainly not in RA/Dec/Distance. =/

"Sol/Sun" is now the Sun's body itself. To select the star system, enter "Solar System".

ShadowRaikouDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 08:20 | Message # 3062
Astronaut
Group: Users
India
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
"Sol/Sun" is now the Sun's body itself. To select the star system, enter "Solar System".

Oh, I see. Yes, works perfectly now, thank you. =)

JCandeiasDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 14:37 | Message # 3063
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Quote JCandeias ()
A barycenter makes sense when the stars move around, when they actually orbit it. But why must we use one for static stars? It's crazy. It doesn't even begin to make sense.

Meanwhile this got me thinking and I had a bout of understanding. Maybe.

Is the barycenter in the stars catalog being used as sort of a warning, telling the program to expect stars in the planets catalog?

These problems with stars seem to come from unexpected stars in planet catalogues, weather they are really there or pop up due to some other inconsistency.

Also:

Quote JCandeias ()
SpaceEngineer, I guess we need the log to include a report about possible naming conflicts. Sometimes identical names don't cause trouble, but sometimes they do.

Meanwhile I did a few more tests and found out that the names that can cause trouble if they are identical are main names that have no alternative names to distinguish one from the other. I.e., defining this dwarf moon of mine as

Code
DwarfMoon "Kuma"

puts it in direct conflict with the Kuma star, but defining it as

Code
DwarfMoon "Kuma/Goyra 23"

doesn't, despite the fact that the main name stayed the same.

This is a problem that should be solved, because addon makers won't know every name in use in actual celestial objects or in other people's addons and therefore will inevitably create duplicate names (and those of us that use sutomatic naming in vast quantities don't even know every name their own addons use). If I can make a suggestion, this issue would be solved, if not totally at least mostly, if the program automatically assigned alternate names to catalogue objects, based on their hierarchy, in the likes of Goyra 23 (Kuma is the 23rd moon of planet Goyra).

They let me use this!

MosfetDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 15:47 | Message # 3064
World Builder
Italy
A BaryCenter in the stars catalog with a well thought name solves this problem as well, isn't it?

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

JCandeiasDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 16:14 | Message # 3065
Pioneer
Portugal
Quote Mosfet ()
A BaryCenter in the stars catalog with a well thought name solves this problem as well, isn't it?

Not really, since names in the catalogs of existing objects are not arbitrary. You can't really invent them. That would only help with custom objects.

They let me use this!

MosfetDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 17:11 | Message # 3066
World Builder
Italy
I'm afraid I'm lost. If you add a custom object which has the same name of a real object, as long as you have a different barycenter declared in catalog\stars it should not merge with existing data... You'll find it in the object browser with the same name and different parentbody. If it has the same parentbody, on the other hand, it'll merge. At least it's what I've grasped from "adding a star" and "adding a planet" mod threads.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

JCandeiasDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 18:02 | Message # 3067
Pioneer
Portugal
Nope. It doesn't work that way. What happened with my moon if proof of that. The moon, Kuma, has as parent body Goyra, a planet, which in turn has as parent body the star Kiru, which is declared in catalog\stars. And yet the moon highjacked the very barycenter of the 24 Draconis star system, which has no parent body.

They let me use this!

HetairosDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 19:11 | Message # 3068
Observer
Poland
More star mass shenanigans, this time the opposite way.

Attachments: 6669156.jpg(64.3 Kb)

Edited by Hetairos - Friday, 08.07.2016, 19:14

JackDoleDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 19:25 | Message # 3069
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
JCandeias,
Of course this is a mistake in the catalog.
Non-unique name as 'Kuma' should not be used in the official catalog files as 'ParentBody'.

It should always be used unique names, so for example the HD number or the HIP number. Or 'NU Dra', in the case of 'Kuma'.

Then there could not be such confusion.

But as long as the catalogs are not checked and corrected in this regard, remains only the solution to give your moon a different name! Of course, you could also check and correct the catalogs! dry

Don't forget to look here.

Edited by JackDole - Friday, 08.07.2016, 19:26

steeljaw354Date: Friday, 08.07.2016, 19:26 | Message # 3070
World Builder
Pirate
That is the lowest for Y dwarf stars, I have seen like 5 stars with that EXACT same mass.

JCandeiasDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 19:47 | Message # 3071
Pioneer
Portugal
Quote JackDole ()
But as long as the catalogs are not checked and corrected in this regard, remains only the solution to give your moon a different name! Of course, you could also check and correct the catalogs!

Thing is: I don't know every single name celestial objects have, nor do I know every single name addon-makers decide to give their objects. Nobody does. So situations like this will happen again, unless something is done to prevent them. I made two suggestions towards a solution (inclusion of possible name collisions in the logs and/or a system of name complementation). SpaceEngineer will know which one is more feasable or if some other solution is better. But a solution will be needed; it won't be just a matter of updating catalogs.

They let me use this!

AngelicaPicklesDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 20:03 | Message # 3072
Observer
United Kingdom
Not sure if these issues are 0.9.7.4 specific but here's a list:

- Docked ships do not always stay docked when re-loading game? I'm sure I read a thread somewhere about this but cannot find it, I think it was Harbinger that suggested that the game loads before the docked ships are loaded? But is there any fix for this or a planned fix?

- Ships in orbit are often not in orbit when re-loading game? They often end up somewhere far from the object, on the surface of the object or simply drifting into deep space.

Other small issues are:

- Some textures do not match up on some gas giants and asteroids.

- Some Brown dwarfs are visible behind planets. (An old issue I know)
- Also Brown dwarfs in a binary systems can sometimes disappear if the main star (A) is hidden behind an object.

- Sometimes I cannot select planets from the dark sides?

- I still have intermittent problems with the shuttle and skylone becoming uncontrollable for no reason while trying to take off and leave atmospheric planets. They can spin widely out of control for no reason and the kill rotation switch cannot be activated, also the move left, right, and rotation keys get locked out. The thrusters and engines can still be controlled. Disabling aerodynamics prevents the issue.

sinsforealDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 20:06 | Message # 3073
Space Pilot
United States
Hetairos, Oi thats a sexy brown dwarf.

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

JackDoleDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 20:19 | Message # 3074
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
JCandeias,
You could also this:

Code

Remove "Kuma1" {ParentBody "Kuma"}
Remove "Kuma2" {ParentBody "Kuma"}

//Kuma;spanish wiki, prof. jim kaler website stars

Star "Kuma1/NU1 Dra/24 Dra/HIP 85819/HD 159541"
{
    ParentBody "NU Dra"
    Class      "A6 V"
    AppMagn    4.86
    MassSol    1.7
    Orbit
    {
        Period          44223.9909
        SemiMajorAxis   941.411
        ArgOfPericenter 0
        MeanAnomaly     0
    }
}

Star "Kuma2/NU2 Dra/25 Dra/HIP 85829/HD 159560"
{
    ParentBody "NU Dra"
    Class      "A4 V"
    AppMagn    4.89
    MassSol    1.7
    Orbit
    {
        Period          44223.9909
        SemiMajorAxis   941.411
        ArgOfPericenter 180
        MeanAnomaly     0
    }
}

put to the beginning of your planetary system script.

Don't forget to look here.

SpaceEngineerDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 20:21 | Message # 3075
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote SpaceHopper ()
I would really love Carbon stars, Zirconium stars, and Wolf-Rayet stars to be procedurally generated

Added.

Quote JCandeias ()
Because there's this annoying bug, you see? A bug that seems to be ignored, by which a brown dwarf in a regular planetary orbit around another star turns the star it orbits into another brown dwarf of the same type and size. It kind of contaminates it, zombifying it.

This is because you didn't described the Sun itself in the planet catalog. If there is some stars in planet catalog, SE scans them and determines the whole system spectral type and luminosity by the most bright star. In this case, it is a brown dwarf Jupiter. This is doing at catalog loading stage. So whole Solar System have not T5 spectral type. Then planetary system is being generated (at program runtime), SE generates default star in the system center (because you have described sytem as "Star" in the star catalog), which class is T5 according to calculation in the catalog loading routine. After that, SE adds all other planets, moons and stars (Jupiter) to the system.
To fix that, you must also add the Sun script to the planet catalog. Look into SolarSys.sc and copy/paste/remane it. Here I changed Jupiter to T5 dwarf in the SolarSys.sc just to test it, no problems:

Attachments: 8178413.jpg(337.2 Kb)

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Search: