Advanced search

[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
JackDuganDate: Wednesday, 06.07.2016, 21:50 | Message # 3046
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
RC3 crashes on startup either instantly after loading or a few seconds after it finishes loading. I have an AMD Radeon R9 270X and Intel i7-4790. I attached my log file if it is of any use. It may relate to a recent AMD software update, as I have never had this occur before and updated my AMD software a few days ago. Note that I have deleted the cache, reinstalled SE, and restarted my PC, but nothing fixed it.
Attachments: 7866196.log(62.5 Kb)

Edited by JackDugan - Wednesday, 06.07.2016, 23:21

MosfetDate: Wednesday, 06.07.2016, 23:37 | Message # 3047
World Builder
Group: Users
Italy
It could indeed be related to the AMD drivers update. I don't see anything wrong in the log until the crash.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

parameciumkidDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 03:32 | Message # 3048
Explorer
United States
Pleased to report that on my Windows 7 PC with Intel HD Graphics 4000 everything is running great! Best of luck to those having issues wink

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

JCandeiasDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 13:37 | Message # 3049
Pioneer
Group: Translators
Portugal
Quote steeljaw354 ()
I found stuff even more odd, Y dwarf star with a mass of 3 SOLAR masses, thats crazy! Another rather high mass brown dwarf, and one with a strange sphere around that blocks orbits.

I confirm this last bug, having spotted it as well. Sometimes it's distance-dependent, i.e., if you approach a star with planets with the orbits turned on, that sphere shows up for a time, at a few distances, and then disappears. Sometimes it stays.

In fact, this version is showing some pretty weird behaviour regarding some (and only some) stars. An example: the star of one of my custom systems is defined like this:

Code
Star  "Kiru"   // Wart 247
{
    RA  20 0 48.624384
    Dec  -72.273373
    Dist  7069.493936
    Class  "M5V"
    AbsMagn  14.42627959
    Obliquity  18.73848696
    EqAscendNode  2.700162405
}

But when it's rendered, it becomes this bloated monster, with most of the planets inside the star (which is understandable, for it was supposed to be a red dwarf, i.e., with everything in rather tight orbits):

Why?

Not a clue.

A few more notes: when the program shows not the star data, but the system data, it tells me it's a triple system. It isn't, and it never shows any star other than this one. And I didn't define another system with the same coordinates -- I checked. Also, all of my stars are far enough from the galaxy that no procedural stars are rendered in their vicinity, so it's not one of those either. And the planetary system doesn't have anything other than planets, moons and asteroids -- no brown dwarfs this time.

Added later: I think it's worth mentioning that this star system was not created recently, and worked as it should until this last version of the software, or at least the one before this one. Other than a few tweaks in other systems more central to my small SE universe, I made no changes in my custom stars and planets in the last year or so.

Attachments: 7370940.jpg(240.8 Kb)

They let me use this!

Edited by JCandeias - Thursday, 07.07.2016, 17:53

Spock1108Date: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 17:13 | Message # 3050
Space Tourist
Antarctica
now almost 6 months that you can not open space engine cry cry ... You can do something for windows 10? wink

Sorry for my English! ;)

MosfetDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 17:22 | Message # 3051
World Builder
Italy
Quote JCandeias ()
But when it's rendered, it becomes this bloated monster,

I copy pasted your code in a new script file, placed in addons\catalogs\stars, then I visited Kiru in SE 0974 RC3.
This is what I got, seems nothing out of order:

Maybe one of your scripts has some syntax error of sorts.

Spock1108, I'm using windows 10 64bit with no problems, so others.
Would you care to describe your issues and attach the se.log?

Attachments: 3100509.jpg(165.3 Kb)

Douglas N. Adams
My mods

Edited by Mosfet - Thursday, 07.07.2016, 17:26

JCandeiasDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 18:09 | Message # 3052
Pioneer
Portugal
Quote Mosfet ()
I copy pasted your code in a new script file, placed in addons\catalogs\stars, then I visited Kiru in SE 0974 RC3.
This is what I got, seems nothing out of order

And after this I tested my scripts by removing kiru's planets, and yes, the star is back to normal.

With planets back on, it's not. And yet I can see no problems in the scripts, which are basically the same as other system's scripts that are not causing any problems (they all come from a system-building excel spreadsheet I have been using). I'm attaching Kiru's scripts here.

Can there be issues with the comments? That's the only thing I can think of.

(and how can the adding of planets change the star they're orbiting, anyway?)

Attachments: kiru.sc(112.8 Kb)

They let me use this!

JackDoleDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 20:14 | Message # 3053
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
JCandeias,
Use a 'StarBarycenter'.
Put this script in 'addons\stars':

Code

// KiruBC.sc

StarBarycenter "Kiru BC"
{
    RA      20 0 48.624384
    Dec     -72.273373
    Dist    7069.493936
}

Then add the star in your system script, along with the planets:

Code

Star  "Kiru"
{
    ParentBody  "Kiru BC"
    Class       "M5V"
    AbsMagn     14.42627959

Obliquity       18.73848696
    EqAscendNode    2.700162405

StaticPosPolar   (0.0 0.0 0.0)
}

For me, the system looks like this:

Attachments: 7442484.jpg(294.2 Kb)

Don't forget to look here.

SpaceEngineerDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 20:41 | Message # 3054
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Latest updates:

1) Added support of custom subdirectories inside "addons/" directory. Now mods can be located in its own folders. This is useful for data organization, for example you can create a folder "addons/StarTrek/" and save all Trek addons there. Both packed and unpacked solutions are possible. The root addons directory ("addons/") also could have addons, as before.

2) Solar system textures are repacked to use with new addons system. Updated Mercury, Ceres, Saturn moons etc are included by default. Total size is 45 Gb, but I split it into "HD" (17 Gb) and "Ultra" (28 Gb) addons. The second is ultra-resolution addon to the first. It have the latest (upscaled) levels for "heavy" planets such as Earth, Mars and some others. These additional levels does not increase resolution twice, as all previous levels, but by a factor of ~1.2-1.5. This is because original Earth dataset had resolution of 86400*43200, while SE requires power-of-two, so they was upscaled to 131072*65536. Upscaling doesn't add new information to the textures, so real surface quality corresponds 86400*43200. But file size was increased drastically, this is why this "Ultra" addon is even larger, then "HD", despite on what it have all previous levels (65536*32768) and all other Solar System worlds. Difference in planet appearance in SE between HD and Ultra is not very big, but can be seen; Ultra pack could be useful to whose who needs all possible data, while majority of users can download only HD pack.

3) Changed config files structure and behaviour, user configs does not got overwritten by the patch. Now SE will be distributed with two configs: main-def.cfg and save-def.cfg, the first have all SE parameters, the second only saved player coordinates, time and camera binding. After first start, SE creates the files main-user.cfg and save-user.cfg, and writes parameters only to them. When next patch will out, SE will not overwrite these user configs, but updates them with some new parameters, which I could add during development of the patch. It's also easy to "reset settings" by simply deleting user configs.

Updated RC3 is in Steam (except Solar System addons). Full list of changes after RC3:

JCandeiasDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 20:52 | Message # 3055
Pioneer
Portugal
Quote JackDole ()
Use a 'StarBarycenter'.

Why?

I mean, OK, it works. And using a barycenter also works with the issue of contaminating brown dwarfs -- I already knew that. But why must one use such a convoluted method to make the systems work, when they don't change anything significant? Why should we need to add extra and rather redundant snippets of code to make the program comply to instructions that were clearly stated to begin with? So much so, in fact, that until recently it did comply to them.

A barycenter makes sense when the stars move around, when they actually orbit it. But why must we use one for static stars? It's crazy. It doesn't even begin to make sense.

Also, this doesn't solve everything. The planets are being lit by stuff that isn't there. In some positions, at least near Doradma, the first planet, you see a luminous star shining nearby, which comes and goes. If you click on it, you're informed that it's 24 Draconis, or Kuma1, which apparently is at a mere 941 UA from Kiru:

However, if you remove Kiru and try to find 24 Draconis, you'll find it within the disc of the galaxy, more than 20 thousand light-years away (and you also find two instances of 24 Draconis in the object browser, one with primary -- Kuma -- the other without; apparently one is the star itself, the other one is its barycenter).

Somehow, this star is being highjacked by the Kiru system. And I just found out why: there's a small moon called Kuma in it. Renaming it solves all issues and makes the barycenter unnecessary.

SpaceEngineer, I guess we need the log to include a report about possible naming conflicts. Sometimes identical names don't cause trouble, but sometimes they do.

Attachments: 4630148.jpg(224.3 Kb)

They let me use this!

DeathStarDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 21:10 | Message # 3056
Pioneer
Croatia
I've just realized that white/blue super/hypergiants FINALLY generate procedurally. Hooray! Only issue I've noticed so far is that blue supergiants have... improbably large masses(over 1000 solar masses)

JCandeiasDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 21:23 | Message # 3057
Pioneer
Portugal
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
- Installer does not delete addons and other user files during installation/uninstallation

This includes files in the screenshots folder, right? My latest installation meant losing every single image I had done since rc2 came out. sad

They let me use this!

HetairosDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 21:47 | Message # 3058
Observer
Poland
I hope it does. I lost my screenshots once too.

Quote DeathStar ()
Only issue I've noticed so far is that blue supergiants have... improbably large masses(over 1000 solar masses)

I found one over 2500 solar masses.

MosfetDate: Thursday, 07.07.2016, 22:26 | Message # 3059
World Builder
Italy
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Latest updates:
[...]

LOL you said bugfixes only, then:
- Added support of custom subfolders for addons (nested set of any depth is possible)
- Changed config files structure and behaviour, user configs does not got overwritten by the patch

biggrin

Douglas N. Adams
My mods

ShadowRaikouDate: Friday, 08.07.2016, 01:44 | Message # 3060
Astronaut
India
Did something change in the debug mode in RC3? I remember that if I wanted the RA/Dec/Distance for any given empty space (to place custom stars), I'd select the sun and look at it's coords in debug mode. But it's not showing any coords at all, and certainly not in RA/Dec/Distance. =/

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Search: