[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
sinsforealDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 09:38 | Message # 2506
Space Pilot
Group: Users
United States
Mosfet, I forgot about that.

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

SalvoDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 10:14 | Message # 2507
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Well, let's write some numbers!

Quote sinsforeal ()
better lighting

To edit the current shaders/add new ones/add new effects, I would say at least one month.

Quote sinsforeal ()
volumetric clouds

He would have to create a shader for clouds particles, (1 week?), then he would have to create an algorithm to spawns these particles in a realistic way (2-3 weeks?), then he would probably need 2-3 more weeks to apply the changes to every type of object.
In total it's, at least, 6 weeks. (using the engine at the current state)

Quote sinsforeal ()
improved nebula and galaxies rendering

I really have no idea, but probably more than one month.

Quote sinsforeal ()
as well as water rendering

Together with clouds, it's the feature I mostly wanted to see in the game. If he found an shading/movements algorithm for water that was compatible with SE, I would say 2 weeks to implement it in the engine, plus 3 weeks to adapt it to planets.
In total 5 weeks. (assuming he wants to start from scratch)

Quote sinsforeal ()
intergalactic stars

The problem here seems to be finding a way to set the right position for these stars, since you don't have the galaxy as reference. So it might take a week like an entire month, anyway I'm not sure Vladimir wants to implement intergalactic stars since, actually, there is no way to eventually find them!

Quote sinsforeal ()
rocks and plants as well as trees on planetary surfaces

Here too there is a problem of positioning. Since the terrain on planets is basically just a texture with height-map, there is no easy way to put these object in the right position. I don't think you want to see a tree on the top of a mountain, do you? tongue
So I think one month should be necessary for finding the algorithm.
Also plants does not necessarily need to exist on alien planets, so he would have to create an huge variety of objects, that should also be able to change. (for example depending if they are on snow or not)
For this, I would say two months, if no-one is helping him.

Quote sinsforeal ()
better looking star models

I have no idea since I don't know at which state the current star rendering system is. But I guess at least a few weeks are necessary.

Quote Mosfet ()
rocks on rings

This is a nightmare, because if he spawn normal asteroids you would have 0.5 fps in the best cases. He you have to create a new type of object (2-3 weeks) that is able to disappear when too far away (1-2 weeks?), and spawn it around planets with rings with correct parameters based on distance from planets, etc. (4 weeks are the minimum for such a thing!)
So in total it's 8 weeks, quite a lot actually!

Here is my estimates. I might be wrong of course, since SpaceEngineer only knows his code. smile

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

Edited by Salvo - Friday, 06.05.2016, 10:18

Brett001Date: Friday, 06.05.2016, 10:36 | Message # 2508
Space Pilot
Hungary
This planemo very interesting. Excellent work, Vladimir! smile

Salvo,

Reading these problems I think that would have been easier at the time when Vladimir decided the Space Engine development of an existing graphics engine integrated into the SE? Expl.: Unreal, Unity? As I know that these are free. I'm not a programmer, I'm sorry if I say stupidity. wink

SalvoDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 12:21 | Message # 2509
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote Brett001 ()
would have been easier at the time when Vladimir decided the Space Engine development of an existing graphics engine integrated into the SE?

Not too much actually, he would have just gained some time in the beginning, and the whole graphic part would be slightly easier, but implementing features requires the same amount of time. smile

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

sinsforealDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 12:44 | Message # 2510
Space Pilot
United States
Salvo, So in total around ten months of time is a good estimate of how long it will take to fully implement these features. That is my minimum estimate. In reality it will most likely take at least a year to implement all of this because of bug testing and issues it may cause as well as many different unknowns that could occur. So we will be close to 1.0 around this time next year if I am correct.

"Man once looked up at the stars and wondered, Now all we do is look at our hands and hesitate"

Edited by sinsforeal - Friday, 06.05.2016, 12:45

sinsforealDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 12:47 | Message # 2511
Space Pilot
United States
Salvo, the engineer plans to make money off of this engine and because of this using the unreal engine or unity would of require him to buy a expensive license to be able to sell copy's of space engine. That is why he coded the engine from scratch

HornblowerDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 12:56 | Message # 2512
World Builder
United States
Quote sinsforeal ()
the engineer plans to make money off of this engine

So do you mean Space Engine will at one point no longer be free for us? Or do you mean it will not be free for game developers...

KexittDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 13:00 | Message # 2513
Pioneer
Russian Federation
It will be free. The game, based on SE engine, will not be free.(I hope I'm right)

http://kexitt.deviantart.com/

sinsforealDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 14:22 | Message # 2514
Space Pilot
United States
Hornblower, there will be many versions of the program. One is the free version, basically what we have now but with more features the planetarium mode will always be free. The next version is the game version which will be paid the features Include mmo features and single player features. You will be able to harvest planets, explore, fight wars etc. The next version is the sdk. Space engineer may be charging for it but either way once we get to the goal there will be a sdk release some time after the goal is reached. Once goals are reached that doesn't automatically grant the game the features that are described at that goal, instead it means space engineer can now reach the goal with his funding.

Edited by sinsforeal - Friday, 06.05.2016, 14:24

Brett001Date: Friday, 06.05.2016, 17:37 | Message # 2515
Space Pilot
Hungary
At present, the situation is as follows: The Unreal engine is free, but the proceeds share to be paid to graphics engine developers. (5%) If program is free, (like the SE) the programmer will not have to pay anything, naturally. However, when Vladimir began the development of the SE the Unreal Engine has had to pay a license fee. It is likely that SE would not have been free with Unreal engine.

Edited by Brett001 - Friday, 06.05.2016, 17:41

steeljaw354Date: Friday, 06.05.2016, 23:05 | Message # 2516
World Builder
Pirate
I hope SE will stay free. If it isn't i'll be very unhappy.

MosfetDate: Friday, 06.05.2016, 23:31 | Message # 2517
World Builder
Italy
I'll contribute again to this off-topic party saying that such a massive emulated realistic-like universe, costing a big amount of coding and research, is worth quite some money even now, so I'd certainly pay for it, donations aside.

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

NeddyDate: Saturday, 07.05.2016, 02:57 | Message # 2518
Observer
Group: Newbies
Australia
The new controls are sort of confusing, the camera movement and the actual movement itself will slow down instead of an immediate stop. This makes it seem as if the FPS is low which isn't very great at all. I am not trying to insult or anything but it would be awesome to bring the old controls back.

HarbingerDawnDate: Saturday, 07.05.2016, 04:15 | Message # 2519
Cosmic Curator
Group: Administrators
United States
Neddy, that has already been fixed for the next version.

All forum users, please read this!
My SE mods and addons
Phenom II X6 1090T 3.2 GHz, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, GTX 970 3584 MB VRAM

NeddyDate: Saturday, 07.05.2016, 04:23 | Message # 2520
Observer
Group: Newbies
Australia
Oh yes sorry I found out a while ago and forgot to post.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Search: