[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
MosfetDate: Saturday, 23.04.2016, 20:07 | Message # 2371
World Builder
Group: Users
Italy
Quote ksg ()
Star S102 / S0-102 right next to Sagittarius A* being drawn as if it were behind the black hole's accretion disk.

Quite an interesting star indeed. According to Wikipedia, " As of 2012 it is the star with the shortest known period [11.5 yr] orbiting the black hole at the centre of the Milky Way. This now beats the record set by S0–2 of 16 years."

Catalog data are correct, I'd say it could also be an effect of gravitational lensing? Man, that little star run fast!!

"Time is illusion. Lunchtime doubly so."
Douglas N. Adams
My mods
Asus x555ub: cpu i5-6200u - ram 4gb - gpu nvidia geforce 940m 2gb vram

Edited by Mosfet - Saturday, 23.04.2016, 20:12

connorneal2005Date: Saturday, 23.04.2016, 21:37 | Message # 2372
Astronaut
Pirate
SEngineer, Where could I get a standalone version of SERC2, I may have missed about... 2 or 3 versions? wacko

-That guy who forgot about SE for months

How big is the universe?

MosfetDate: Saturday, 23.04.2016, 21:59 | Message # 2373
World Builder
Italy
Quote connorneal2005 ()
Where could I get a standalone version of SERC2

First post of the thread

Douglas N. Adams
My mods

ksgDate: Sunday, 24.04.2016, 06:51 | Message # 2374
Observer
Group: Newbies
Finland
Quote Mosfet ()

Catalog data are correct, I'd say it could also be an effect of gravitational lensing? Man, that little star run fast!!

The issue isn't about the star's distance to the black hole, that bit is probably correct (and very interesting, no doubt.)
The issue is that the star is in between Sgr* A and the viewport, but at certain angles the accretion disk is being drawn on top of it.
Here's a little video clip to maybe clarify what I meant. (Apologies for the quiet audio, my voice is garbage and I cant speak loudly)

SpaceEngineerDate: Sunday, 24.04.2016, 10:18 | Message # 2375
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
SE cannot render correctly any object (star, planet, ship, orbital line etc), which is inside the black hole effect shader. For solitary black hole it is 1000x Rg, for black hole with accretion disk it is also 1000x Rg or a disk radius, if is it larger than 1000 Rg.

FastFourierTransformDate: Sunday, 24.04.2016, 11:33 | Message # 2376
Pioneer
Group: Local Moderators
Spain
Quote steeljaw354 ()
Any plans to add rogue planets?

Quote steeljaw354 ()
I would love to have rogue planets but I created a scorched rogue planet with no star.

Very interesting indeed. Please contribute to the discussión thread about rogue planets here:

Interestellar objects thread

NantesDate: Sunday, 24.04.2016, 13:02 | Message # 2377
Observer
Brazil
Edit: bug report removed, I was wrong

Any plans to add rogue planets?

Interesting idea at first sight, but they would be basically invisible. They would be too far away from any star on average to be bright enough to be noticeable. What would be the statistical chance of you randomly clicking somewhere in space and finding a rogue planet? Otherwise they'd be impossible to find, and thus pointless to include.

Edited by Nantes - Monday, 25.04.2016, 14:10

ksgDate: Sunday, 24.04.2016, 13:19 | Message # 2378
Observer
Finland
Quote Nantes ()
There is nothing at the center of those two planets that could justify their almost-circular orbit around that point. Perhaps I just found evidence for dark matter?

The center point is the system's barycenter; it's sort of the system's collective center of mass. This point is what any system's objects, planetary and stellar scale alike, orbit around, just in most cases the point is inside a more massive object, rendering it almost static, while the less massive objects orbit around it.

Here's a Wikipedia article explaining this in more depth and a less messy and confusing manner

[DW]SolarisDate: Sunday, 24.04.2016, 13:29 | Message # 2379
Observer
United Kingdom
Right, new bug.
i keep getting a CTD. first time, it was when i was inside Saggitarius A, and trying to leave.
second time, i don't know what I was doing.
Third time, I was on a planet in a globular cluster near the milky way, using shift drag to zoom in.
fourth time was exactly the same.
however, neither of them happened immidiately, more like 4/10 seconds after i reach max zoom level.

In the beginning was the word,
And the word was "Arrrgh!"
- Piraticus, 13:7

FaceDeerDate: Sunday, 24.04.2016, 16:50 | Message # 2380
Space Pilot
Canada
Quote Nantes ()
Interesting idea at first sight, but they would be basically invisible. They would be too far away from any star on average to be bright enough to be noticeable. What would be the statistical chance of you randomly clicking somewhere in space and finding a rogue planet? Otherwise they'd be impossible to find, and thus pointless to include.

Brown dwarfs and black holes (without accretion disks) are also effectively invisible. One doesn't find them by randomly clicking around in the sky, one finds them via the star browser. Presumably if rogue planets were added some sort of similar browser-based method would be used to find them (given that there could be more rogue planets out there than there are stars I imagine they would not be included in the default browser view - perhaps a filter of some sort would be used).

hanvulansiaDate: Sunday, 24.04.2016, 21:16 | Message # 2381
Observer
Spain
Quote Nantes ()

Space Engine claims to be a realistic simulator of the universe. That's enough reason for including them. We've already found rogue planets with our telescopes.

Edited by hanvulansia - Sunday, 24.04.2016, 21:17

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Sunday, 24.04.2016, 21:32 | Message # 2382
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Regarding rogue planets and everything else known to modern astronomy

Quote SpaceEngineer ()
as long as SE is a scientifically accurate Universe simulator, then one day it will implement ALL space objects and phenomenon that are known to modern astronomy (if this would be possible to implement on the personal computers). So you may not bother yourself with questions like "will SE one day have meteor rain implemented". I guarantee that it WILL.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

hanvulansiaDate: Monday, 25.04.2016, 07:42 | Message # 2383
Observer
Spain
I've upgraded my graphic card to a gtx 750 ti and now this version works, but I've found some bugs:

- Stars dissapear with my screen's native resolution (1440x900) but they show perfectly with any other resolution. I've tried erasing cache and restarting. The star is still there but all I see is an empty hole. This don't happen with brown dwarves or other bodies.

- Clouds work rare sometimes, they go inside the terrain (or it feels like) and it's ugly. Sometimes they become circles in the planet, it dissapears when finishing loading. (also, I think clouds should have a more natural looking in the future, their pattern looks so artificial sometimes)

- Textures go suddenly ultra-low, and then it goes normal again in a second. Especially when moving the planet with mouse right click. This is not an important bug but it's kinda ugly when happens.

- This one has been reported surely, cyclons suddenly cuttoff, especially in gas giants. Also all of them look the same.

And this is not a bug, but I've noticed it: For some reason atmospheres require a lot of resources. Maybe it's normal, but when disabling them I get an extra 20fps (that's a lot!), while disabling other things doesn't have that much impact (maybe auroras are too demanding too).

The rest works just fine. The new "slow" camera moving is a bit annoying, but nothing important. This will be one of the best SE releases!

steeljaw354Date: Monday, 25.04.2016, 11:43 | Message # 2384
World Builder
Pirate
Is there a possibility for rogue terras?

MosfetDate: Monday, 25.04.2016, 12:34 | Message # 2385
World Builder
Italy
you're kidding right?

Douglas N. Adams
My mods

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Search: