[ New messages · Forum rules · Members ]
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
JackDoleDate: Friday, 26.02.2016, 12:52 | Message # 1696
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
cah9tlan,
this is because the 'RotationPeriod' for 'R136a1' is not defined in the database, and SpaceEngine therefore assumes a random value for it. Often a bit too high. Thus, the stars become oblate spheroids. Even if they are not in reality.

Don't forget to look here.

Edited by JackDole - Friday, 26.02.2016, 12:53

pzampellaDate: Friday, 26.02.2016, 13:12 | Message # 1697
Space Pilot
Group: Users
Venezuela
Hi MajorTom,

In fact, the average temperature in Earth is about 14 degrees. That's the average of the temperature in the entire planet, including the cold poles and the hot deserts. Look at this article in UniverseToday.

cah9tlanDate: Friday, 26.02.2016, 13:14 | Message # 1698
Observer
Pirate
Thank you for your opinions JackDole, Fireinthehole. Agreed.
Maybe, just maybe (if it's not some titanic work as in oblateness switch in edit mode), it needs to be included realistic manually, some the proverbial "the most..."-objects like above said or canis majoris for Example. Because it could've been the first thought of a newbie to see some real power of the universe.

Edited by cah9tlan - Friday, 26.02.2016, 13:19

ZackGDate: Friday, 26.02.2016, 16:38 | Message # 1699
Space Pilot
United States
Quote the_nerervarine ()
How was I harsh?

Well you just told him no to fictional planets. thats just my honest opinion

MOBO:ASUS Sabertooth Mark I
CPU:Intel I7 4790 3.6Ghz
GPU:NVIDIA GTX960 4GB
Memory:32GB 1600Mhz (Corsair 4x8GB)

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Friday, 26.02.2016, 21:09 | Message # 1700
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote the_nerervarine ()
And until Worm Holes are proven as a reality they will also not be implemented in Space Engine.

As of 0.9.7.4 Wormholes have been partially implemented and will be fully implemented in a future version. Currently there is no plan to procedurally generate them, but there is always a chance they will be used in addons and future games.

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

TerranDate: Friday, 26.02.2016, 22:37 | Message # 1701
Observer
United States
I would guess wormholes would be hard to implement because of physics revolving around 4 dimensional space. Left, right, up, and down no longer mean the same thing anymore. They however would be one of the coolest features in my opinion biggrin

"To comprehend all that can be... but to not even grasp that which is..."
Processor: Intel i7 , 4 GHz | RAM: 16 GB | OS: Windows 8.1 , 64 bit | Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 , 2048 D.V.M. | DirectX: 11.0

cah9tlanDate: Saturday, 27.02.2016, 10:59 | Message # 1702
Observer
Pirate
Hello,
I would love to see some very very basic instruments - navigational features in new release . Such as:

1. COMPASS OR SOME ANALOGUE (named otherwise for disambiguation) on round objects, planets and moons (excluded maybe several small objects like asteroids with no stable axis) with four cardinal points based on lat/long coordinates which are already implemented by the way. WHY DO ONE NEED THAT? Personally landing on big planet (even our home Earth) I'm feeling like newborn little mouse, without having a basic idea of my current direction (vector) and it severely spoils any exploring pleasure.

2. LANDING INTERFACE where you can easily enter lat/long coordinates and splash into precisely the same spot you've just assigned. Doing it through console have its own inaccurateness especially in longitude and it needs a bit of simplest interface . WHY DO ONE NEED SUCH A THING ? I won't lie from time to time I'm using SE for educational purposes like home planetarium to predict the moon, to determine the stars on night sky looking through my window (I've got some android apps for that too, but with SE it goes much cooler :)

3. ANY WAY OF RETRIEVING PRECISE CURRENT COORDINATES (like lat/long on the left). In every form in order to tap it out in above-mentioned interface or at least console (in that case in console format). FOR EXAMPLE, to mark your favourite spot on Mars or Triton or whatever and land accurately there next time without any trouble .

ps. Thank you for reading. I know, It's a ton of letters wacko .

Edited by cah9tlan - Saturday, 27.02.2016, 11:37

Brett001Date: Saturday, 27.02.2016, 16:14 | Message # 1703
Space Pilot
Hungary
cah9tlan

It's good idea. :)

SpaceEngineer!

When expected the volumetric clouds in the SE? About?

Edited by Brett001 - Saturday, 27.02.2016, 16:16

JamjarsDate: Saturday, 27.02.2016, 16:48 | Message # 1704
Observer
Group: Newbies
United States
Greetings fellow Spacelings. I'm here today with a bit of a star size bug. I went to visit the Milky Way's center and said to myself "Hmm, some of these stars seem really bright" and upon inspecting a few, I found they have a diameter of 39 AU! That's 4200 times the Sun's diameter. These are definitely new as I have visited Sag A* many, many times before RC1.

Those two bright stars in to the left of the nearest one are identical in diameter. For perspective, the top one is .065 ly away, and the bottom is .125 ly away. Even without much mental comparison, I can tell those are some extremely big, luminous stars.

I've seen huge stars - the biggest I have personally found was about 1900 times our Sun's diameter. Certainly an outlier, because the majority of orange hypergiants I find are in the 1000-1200x solar diameter range. So, my question is: is anyone else seeing these "ultragiant" stars?

Thank you for your time, and I hope you're all doing well.

Edit 1: After further inspection, it seems some galaxies don't have their core orbiting stars, i.e. Andromeda and Triangulum. Also, the majority of stars surrounding Sag A* are identical blue main sequence stars. Perhaps this is a bigger issue than just overly huge stars, and a problem with the centers of some catalog galaxies.

Edited by Jamjars - Monday, 29.02.2016, 00:42

Kubacki99Date: Saturday, 27.02.2016, 21:42 | Message # 1705
Observer
Group: Newbies
Poland
Ummm, I think it's not normal

and pressing gtrl+g on the galaxies doesn't takee you exactly to the central black hole (at least in Milky way and Andromeda), or black holes aren't in the centres.

parameciumkidDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 01:20 | Message # 1706
Explorer
United States
Okay so something's got me puzzled.
All this time I thought SpaceEngine was a 64-bit application, but the 0.9.7.4 RC1 I have installed is showing up in Task Manager as "SpaceEngine.exe *32". Is this patch 32-bit only, did I install it wrong, or was SpaceEngine always 32-bit (in which case do any plans exist to make it 64-bit)?

Intel HD Graphics 4000 ;P

DoctorOfSpaceDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 01:51 | Message # 1707
Galaxy Architect
Group: Global Moderators
Pirate
Quote parameciumkid ()
was SpaceEngine always 32-bit

yes

Quote parameciumkid ()
do any plans exist to make it 64-bit

no

Intel Core i7-5820K 4.2GHz 6-Core Processor
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC 6GB

cah9tlanDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 02:11 | Message # 1708
Observer
Pirate
Some interesting fact I have just encountered. I've been running SE rc1 on my tweaks in main.cfg off the first run. And it also crashed almost each time after 10-20 mins. And I said what the hell, I should run it on default author's cfg.

So, Well ... How should I put it. Imagine my astonishment when I've started SE on default (deleted cache, original main.cfg and so on) and it's not even started. Crashed on site.

Live and learn. angry

SalvoDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 07:16 | Message # 1709
Star Engineer
Italy
Quote parameciumkid ()
any plans exist to make it 64-bit

In C++ it's not so hard to switch from 32-bit to 64-bit, I don't know if there are some functions/libraries that would not be working anymore, but usually it's not such a big problem. Anyway, I'm not even sure if there would be so many benefits to justify the release of two different versions (x64 and x86).

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

InariusDate: Monday, 29.02.2016, 07:53 | Message # 1710
Explorer
France
SpaceEngineer!

When expected the volumetric clouds in the SE? About?

@Brett001 : Don't ask. He can't know. So you can't either. This kind of feature takes a lot of time, and probably requires a lot of other thing you don't even know.
For now, the focus is on Release Candidate 2, to give us a clean patch at last, with less bugs, more features.
Adding new features can wait (a little more)
Moreover, I find the general tone and the use of bold a little aggressive. Remember that you haven't paid for Space Engine, and that he makes it alone.

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Search: