Page 106 of 221«12104105106107108220221»
Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
LookAtDatDakkaDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 00:58 | Message # 1576
Explorer
Group: Users
United States
Quote parameciumkid ()
Okay I know it's sort of bad form, but given that the last page ended with a response from SpaceEngineer to some recent posts that didn't include mine, I worry he didn't end up seeing it and that it's been buried. So here it is again:

Alas, I too have found a bug.
Some of the moons (I have yet to find a planet that does this) have a temperature of -1 K. They cause serious lag when pulled up in the solar system chart thing (F2), never load their textures (just a black sphere), and after a few seconds will crash the game, unless the chart is closed and the system unloaded.
Here's a screenshot with an example of such a moon:

And an SE.log on the off chance that it helps: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13276416/SpaceEngine/se.log

Hopefully this is just something wrong with my configuration settings. This didn't happen in Patch 8. The affected moons appear to mainly be titans, although this may be a coincidence.
A hypothesis: When certain moons are warmed by tidal heating, things that should be ice get converted to greenhouse gases, causing their temperatures to rise exponentially, turning even more of their interiors into greenhouse gas, until the temperature becomes infinite.
Interestingly, these moons also seem to not have proper diameter values, even though the information panel claims to define one. Zooming in on such a moon shows nothing (no moon), and then at a certain distance threshold the entire screen becomes black - there is at most a single frame in between these states.

I went to your planets and the atmosphere model for this planet above crashed my simulator. Not even a beast can handle this.

Here's the event that slowly crashed my simulator

First, it looked like this for less than a second,

then, my framerate slowed,

and eventually, it crashed due to simulator's memory problems.

I also got a log.

Attachments: 5350587.png(223Kb) · 4607506.png(292Kb) · 1529238.png(8Kb) · 9467274.log(41Kb)

NVIDIA 960 GTX 2048MB

Edited by LookAtDatDakka - Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 00:59

the_nerervarineDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 02:50 | Message # 1577
Space Pilot
United States
I don't know if this has been touched upon but I really enjoy the new music tracks that were added.

AMD FX-8320 8 core @4.0ghz , AMD R9 290 4GB, 8GB DDR3 @1866mhz, 1TB Hard Drive

Wicker1MDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 03:38 | Message # 1578
Astronaut
United States
I want the Pinkworld model back.

Tangle10Date: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 04:02 | Message # 1579
Space Pilot
United States
I feel that now that we have atmospheric composition and terras with multicellular land and sea life are so much more rare, we either need atmospheric composition in the filters or more than 10000 stars detection in the filter.

Tips for finding Earth-Like planets: Look for F, G, or K Class stars. M class habitables will almost always be tidelocked. Oceanias can, of course, also be habitable, they just have tiny amounts of land.

Edited by Tangle10 - Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 04:02

SiliconDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 04:41 | Message # 1580
Astronaut
United States
Asteroids still have extremely long rotation periods.

PlutonianEmpireDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 06:02 | Message # 1581
Pioneer
United States
Quote Tangle10 ()
I feel that now that we have atmospheric composition and terras with multicellular land and sea life are so much more rare, we either need atmospheric composition in the filters or more than 10000 stars detection in the filter.

So, Space Engine more closely matches the reality of the Rare Earth Theorem Theory? Cool! biggrin

Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

the_nerervarineDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 06:54 | Message # 1582
Space Pilot
United States
Quote PlutonianEmpire ()
So, Space Engine more closely matches the reality of the Rare Earth Theorem Theory? Cool!

Also the Terra's with multicellular life I've been finding(terrestrial and marine) have atmospheres that are either toxic enough to shorten the human lifespan significantly or even near instantly lethal. It makes you want to take care of our home even more because perhaps truly Earth is the only place in the Universe we can live.

AMD FX-8320 8 core @4.0ghz , AMD R9 290 4GB, 8GB DDR3 @1866mhz, 1TB Hard Drive

Edited by the_nerervarine - Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 06:55

ZatSoloDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 07:38 | Message # 1583
Space Pilot
Italy
Here is a little bug I've found.

Using, in user.cfg, FOV 70.0 and DefaultFOV 70.0 ,when I am in front of a nebula and I save the place and/or exit SE, when I restart SE (or reload the place) the nebula disappears.

Temporary Workaround
If I set down FOV to 50 or 45 this doesn't happen. ;)

EDIT
------
I forgot:
it seems that the problem occurs by setting, in user.cfg, FOV and DefaultFOV >= 60.
Between 60 and 65 it occurs sometimes. Above FOV 70 occurs always.

Edited by ZatSolo - Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 10:11

PlutonianEmpireDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 09:27 | Message # 1584
Pioneer
United States
Quote the_nerervarine ()
Also the Terra's with multicellular life I've been finding(terrestrial and marine) have atmospheres that are either toxic enough to shorten the human lifespan significantly or even near instantly lethal. It makes you want to take care of our home even more because perhaps truly Earth is the only place in the Universe we can live.

I was being silly. In reality I find the Rare Earth theory depressing and it makes me feel lonely when I look up, especially since, from my understanding of astronomy and space, our ever-expanding knowledge of space seems to increasingly bring us closer to proving it.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying Space Engine and my own world building projects. biggrin

Specs: Dell Inspiron 5547 (Laptop); 8 gigabytes of RAM; Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz; Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (That's all there is :( )

Edited by PlutonianEmpire - Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 09:29

SalvoDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 10:23 | Message # 1585
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Italy
Quote the_nerervarine ()
Earth is the only place in the Universe we can live.

Yeah. It like having a key and trying to open all the doors you can see.

You might find some of them who seems perfectly fitting, but for a matter of millimeters, you can't open
that door, even if its key seems pretty identical to the one you have.

The universe is not required to be in perfect harmony with human ambition.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770 GPU: ASUS Radeon R9 270 RAM: 8 GBs

(still don't know why everyone is doing this...)

JackDoleDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 10:57 | Message # 1586
Star Engineer
Group: Local Moderators
Germany
Quote hanvulansia ()
I hope they fix it soon.

Your card is quite old. You have a 'Intel ® HD Graphics 3000'.
I have the same as a second card in my laptop, and I do not think Intel will for that publish new drivers. sad

For newer cards, for example for the 'Intel® HD Graphics 4400' there are current drivers that work with SpaceEngine.

Don't forget to look here.

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 11:49 | Message # 1587
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
I fixed many bugs with atmosphere composition:
- bugs with -1K temperature, visual gliches and crushes
- dubiously large amounts of rare substances such as Xe, Kr, Cl2
- some worlds can have have 1 million atm pressure and made of pure Xe
- H2O on cold and frozen worlds

I also added larger randomization in initial composition for terrestrial planets (by order of magnitude), so twin planets will no longer have twin atmospheres. And added randomization in greenhouse limit temperature, so it may be not exactly 500°.

Strange looking, but correct effect now is possible. Look for example at RS 8414-3151-6-242766-485 A6. It is a "hot oceania" (360°C), becasue it have 500° greenhouse due to 777 atm pressure. Without such enormous greenhouse, it could be desert or ice would with -140°C temperature. In future versions, with correct rendering of dense water wapor atmosphere, such planet could be classified as a "mini neptune" (5 Earth masses).

SpaceEngineerDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 12:00 | Message # 1588
Author of Space Engine
Group: Administrators
Russian Federation
Quote ZatSolo ()
Here is a little bug I've found.
Using, in user.cfg, FOV 70.0 and DefaultFOV 70.0 ,when I am in front of a nebula and I save the place and/or exit SE, when I restart SE (or reload the place) the nebula disappears.
Temporary Workaround

I tried this and have no problem. Can you share location where such bug happens?

Tangle10Date: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 12:49 | Message # 1589
Space Pilot
United States
Quote the_nerervarine ()
perhaps truly Earth is the only place in the Universe we can live.

I try not to ever say "only place in the universe", because I feel that's impossible. It be might the only place in the universe where we can live within reach, especially if you stick to rigid confines of habitability (i.e., a little water on the surface tiny worlds around K4 stars). But I'm pretty sure that even if that great sphere of 92 billion light-years is all we have, there's something easily similar enough to live. It all comes down to FTL travel and/or cryopods.

Quote Salvo ()
Yeah. It like having a key and trying to open all the doors you can see.

Does that mean terraforming is like using the key as if it were a screwdriver and taking off the door's hinges? And genetic engineering for said planets is like modifying your key?

Tips for finding Earth-Like planets: Look for F, G, or K Class stars. M class habitables will almost always be tidelocked. Oceanias can, of course, also be habitable, they just have tiny amounts of land.

ZatSoloDate: Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 13:24 | Message # 1590
Space Pilot
Italy
Quote SpaceEngineer ()
Quote ZatSolo ()
... Using, in user.cfg, FOV 70.0 and DefaultFOV 70.0 ,when I am in front of a nebula and I save the place and/or exit SE, when I restart SE (or reload the place) the nebula disappears.
Temporary Workaround

I tried this and have no problem. Can you share location where such bug happens?

A sample location:

The "problem" occurs with every nebula if I use a FOV >=70.

Note: FOV and DefaultFOV are saved in user.cfg, so you start every time with FOV 70. I've attacched my "user.cfg".

My videocard (my 2nd PC): GTX 750

Attachments: user.cfg(15Kb)

Edited by ZatSolo - Wednesday, 17.02.2016, 13:31

Forum » SpaceEngine » Archive » Work progress and public beta test - 0.9.7.4
Page 106 of 221«12104105106107108220221»
Search: